The title says it all. With no prior experience in coding, I’ve decided to teach myself the essentials in order to build an app (among other things).
My journey began with wanting to learn more about generative art. On many occasions I’ve seen complex motion graphics posted on Tumblr and wondered “how did they do that?” My curiosity lead me to countless hours of Google searches, blog posts and artist forums. Still, I haven’t found a platform to create my own animated works. After compiling lists of links I’ve stumbled upon a program called Processing which seemed quite interesting. To my surprise, I am realizing that it is not that easy as it looks. The impression upon me was and still is “learn code”. I never took the opportunity to learn code or the slightest workings of programming since I was always a hands on type of guy. Searching YouTube lead me in the right direction, yet, I am still learning. Will this be a never ending process, who knows? The one thing I am certain of is the fact that I am determined to figure it all out. I am thankful for the many developers who contributed their knowledge of coding (esp. Processing), the time taken to explain & demonstrate, and those willing to help others to learn.
I can be ahead of myself at times and that energy has given me ideas beyond conception. Maybe it was that spark of energy that gave me the idea to create a generative art app of my own. Still, I am learning. To be honest, every e-book, video tutorial and forum discussion have my saying to my self “what the fuck are they talking about”. Those going through the same situation may share this sentiment to a degree. As mentioned above, I never learned coding or programming, yet I am computer savvy and willing to learn more even if I have to teach myself. Not bad for a high school dropout with an exceptional background in science, mathematics, art and music. I believe in myself to the point that I KNOW that I can manifest this vision into a reality that can generate more than just revenue. It is the passion to learn that keeps me level headed and the desire to express self that keeps me going.
I will not get into the specifics of the app that I have in mind. However, I will say that I was and still am inspired by the many apps that I currently use. Hopefully I will build a bond with the many developers already in the field. Many articles I’ve read mentioned the fact that many developers never knew coding prior the creation of their own apps. That inspires me beyond words simply because this task requires time to learn and execute ideas in a society that says it can not be done.
In closing, I leave you with 13 Afrikan proverbs:
- Do not let what you cannot do tear from your hands what you can. ~ Ashanti proverb
- Wisdom does not come overnight. ~ Somali proverb
- He who learns, teaches. ~ Ethiopian proverb
- Where there are experts there will be no lack of learners. ~Swahili proverb
- What you learn is what you die with. ~Afrikan proverb
- Patience is the key which solves all problems. ~ Sudanese proverb
- Learning expands great souls. ~ Namibian proverb
- Knowledge is better than riches. ~ Cameroon proverb
- Wealth diminishes with usage; learning increases with use. ~ Nigerian proverb
- There is nothing wrong with learning from hindsight. ~Akan proverb
- Education is what you know, not what’s in the book. ~Egyptian proverb
- Listening is the most difficult skill to learn and the most important to have. ~Afrikan proverb
- Patience puts a crown on the head. ~Ugandan proverb